Wombat & Co.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday 20 February 2007

Seven weeks

(14 May 06)

Hi Wombat :)

our first Mother's day turned out to be very quiet and peaceful. You were very active yesterday evening and it took me many many MANY hours of feeding and playing and rocking to get you to sleep, but once you finally dropped off, you slept for seven hours again - it seems to be your Saturday night thing!!! You were very hungry when you woke up this morning, and we all had a long midday nap together. Daddy made me a Mother's day card and put a pen in your hand so you could 'sign' it. Daddy said you refused to let the pen go once you had it in your grip!

We were expecting a visit from Grandma, Jouko & Uncle Peter today, but unfortunately they had to cancel - with petrol prices jumping to $1.49 a litre this weekend, it really takes the fun out of travelling any distance, so a special trip up from Nowra was out of the question. I hope we will see them at the christening, if not beforehand - at least it gave us an excuse to dash around and tidy the house up a bit!

I was half expecting that to happen - this week has been like that in a lot of ways - on Wednesday you were due to be weighed at the local baby clinic. Daddy and I got you warmly dressed against a bitter wind and drove the 20mins to The Oaks only to find a note on the door saying "closed due to unforeseen circumstances." Very disappointing as we were really looking forward to finding out how much you had grown! The bathroom scales are too inaccurate and the kitchen scales too small, so I just have to guess. I can't take you next Wednesday, either, as we have an appointment in the city to see the priest and plan your christening, so it will be another two weeks and you will have grown even more! Then on Friday, I was supposed to see the obstetrician for my six week checkup. I am still not allowed to do any stretching or real exercise until she has checked on my stitches (they are uncomfortable but feeling much better than they were!) Her secretary rang me an hour before we were ready to leave to say that she had another patient in labour and wouldn't be there - so that visit has been rescheduled for next Friday.

EDIT on the weight question - Daddy pulled out Grandma's old balance scales and we 'balanced' you on them. Wombat, you weigh 14 pounds 5 ounces, or around 6.5 kilos :) When you were born you were right on the top of the 'weight for age' statistical scale - you are holding perfectly on that top line. I have been realising more and more that because you are so big and robust, it is hard even for me to remember how young and vulnerable you are. As you get older, people will expect you to be more self-reliant, less emotional and more responsible than other children your age, just because you are a lot bigger than them. I pray you won't have to fight as hard as your Daddy did, but we are already planning to avoid some of the problems by home-schooling you.

I have a new motto this week - TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED - it came to me in an email from another Michelle - the catechist co-ordinator who inspired me to become a volunteer religious teacher, and gave me several happy years teaching the kids in a local public school (I had to quit when I got pregnant, as I am too prone to catching the kids' colds, and didn't want to take any risks with you).

And now to the weekly photos:

First we have my attempts to get a Wombat & Mummy Mother's Day photo, but you were refusing to smile at the camera, no matter how much I tickled you!



It was much more entertaining to play with Mummy's hair...



and here is my little Wombat relaxing on my Mother's Day present from Daddy - he has been watching me lean against the wall to nurse, with a pillow behind my back, and decided it looked too uncomfortable, so he bought me a lovely cushioned backrest, which you think is very comfy to play on... lol - I love the action shot & with such a big smile as well - at this age, all your future seems to be encoded in your face - watching the fleeting expressions change, we suddenly think 'that's what you will look like when you are 4 or 16 or 50...' It's kind of like knowing you are going to get déjà vu in advance, if you know what I mean :P



and finally, this is my current project (in my huge amounts of spare time ??? when not working on my thesis, or finishing the embroidery on your christening robe) - Daddy bought some great Beatrix Potter fabric, and I am making panels to cover the dusty old louvres, on the entrance doors to our room and the built-in robes. Believe it or not, those louvres have been scrubbed over and over again but they still look awful, and it's no use painting them to fix the problem, because several slats are missing in odd places... so Daddy came up with the bright idea and I am having fun implementing it... one panel done, only eleven more to go...

No comments: